ou may have seen the news about a live-in caregiver who was charged with theft in Burlington. It can be a real eye-opener when we see these crimes reported, especially when they occur in our own community.
Stealing from someone who has entrusted a new person with their care is a serious violation. Theft, physical violence, deprivation of nutrition, verbal abuse and neglect are all forms of abuse. Your safety is our number one priority, and we do not tolerate elder abuse, or any other form of abuse.
A proper vetting process administered by a professional in the healthcare industry can give you peace of mind. Hiring someone from a publicly available advertisement may not yield the most appropriate candidate. Be aware of scams that give unverified people access to your home.
Retire-At-Home uses a thorough screening process when we hire caregivers and nurses. We run criminal record checks, verify work permits for foreign workers and check all certifications and vaccine records.
Our hiring process also takes into consideration your specific needs or ability to communicate. It can feel like you’re searching for the impossible. Try not to be stressed about it! Our team at Retire-At-Home Halton can help you.
Take a breath, and make a list of your needs. It’s helpful to determine your budget as well. The following checklist can help you get started:
- gather medication and medical history
- make notes on physical limitations
- list all the equipment you use (rented or owned)
- indicate all the languages you understand or prefer to use
- ask people in your community about potential referrals. You may have a personal support worker or nurse living in your neighbourhood!
- talk to your doctor(s) about reputable organizations or companies
- go online and research local options
- participate in interviews with potential candidates
- talk with your family or banker about finances
- make a list of services you need and the ones you’d like to have
- compare prices and value the way you would when budgeting for any large expense
Why is this list important?
Nurses and caregivers are accustomed to meeting people from all walks of life. This experience, along with the ability to be patient, means that it takes a special person to care for someone who may need a lot of attention. Our caregivers and nurses build relationships with their patients. In addition, they must possess up to date certifications in a variety of skills.
The list above is not comprehensive, especially if your circumstances are unique. The main idea to take away is that you need to consider a nurse or caregiver’s ability to provide quality healthcare or companionship.
As an example, we can organize transportation to and from appointments if you are unable to drive. This information can have a significant impact on how all of your health care professionals communicate changes in your situation, and can prevent contraindication of
How can Retire-At-Home Halton help?
It would be an honour for us to be allowed into your home. Home care in Halton is accessible and we can work with you to customize a health care plan that you and your family can afford. You can choose the services that you need, and our qualified nurses and caregivers will deliver the highest standard of care available for reasonable cost.
- available 24 hours
- Nursing care services
- We coordinate our services with your existing medical professionals for consistent health care delivery
- Respite care
- Assistance planning for transportation for appointments
- Personal Care services
- Home Support and Housekeeping services
We provide home care services in the following areas: Halton, including Georgetown, Burlington, Oakville, Milton and Mississauga North. If you would like to discuss your individual needs (whether or not you’re a senior) contact Retire-At-Home Services Halton for a complimentary in-home consultation at 1-888-509-9394 or 905-864-9020. You can also use our online contact form or our live chat option.