If you live in Ontario and are a senior, you may be interested in what the 2018 Budget (provincial) has to say about what the Province is promising for the next year.
The 2018 Budget plan, outlined here, addresses issues such as mental health, affordable housing, child care and making health care better and more accessible to everyone. Most significantly, the government is promising a fair approach to implementing the plan.
The main points that are specifically geared toward the Province’s aging population show that our policy makers recognize that the cost of living independently can create barriers for seniors who wish to stay in their home.
Retire-At-Home understands this as well. Our team of qualified Nurses and Client Care managers will work with you to identify the services you really need to help you stick to a budget.
2018 Budget highlights
- Expanding long-term care to make it more accessible (the plan is to add 5000 new beds by 2022, and 30,000 over the next decade.)
- A benefit of $750 annually for seniors 75 years of age and older, to help maintain their homes (e.g. this could help pay for custodial services such as snow removal, lawn maintenance and air duct cleaning, but the eligible expenses have not been revealed yet.)
- OHIP benefits will cover prescriptions for seniors in August 2019.
- Support for dental care costs.
- Expanding and improving home and community care for people who need nursing services, as well as for caregivers.
- Personal Support Workers (PSWs) will receive additional training and incentives (such as retirement security) to join the PSW workforce.
- Support for people living with Dementia and disabilities.
Read more about the Budget
Local news sources have published several articles on the Budget. It’s always a good idea to read the document. Having access to different perspectives can help you understand what the information means in a bigger context.
Here are some news articles for you to consider:
How can Retire-At-Home Halton help?
It would be an honour for us to be allowed into your home. Home care in Halton is accessible and we can work with you to customize a health care plan that you and your family can afford.
You can choose the services that you need, and our qualified nurses and caregivers will deliver the highest standard of care available for reasonable cost. We work with your private insurance and with OHIP to ensure that your family gets the best value possible.
- available 24 hours
- Nursing care services
- We coordinate our services with your existing medical professionals for consistent health care delivery
- Respite care
- Assistance planning for transportation for appointments
- Personal Care services
- Home Support and Housekeeping services
We provide home care services in the following areas: Halton, including Georgetown, Burlington, Oakville, Milton and Mississauga North. If you would like to discuss your individual needs (whether or not you’re a senior) contact Retire-At-Home Services Halton for a complimentary in-home consultation at 1-888-509-9394 or 905-864-9020. You can also use our online contact form or our live chat option.